Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day 1-July 9th

This morning I arrived at the hospital at 5:45 to check in for surgery. I am a little nervous but look forward to getting through today and on the road to recovery. The nurse asked me a million questions and then I changed into my new outfit, hospital garb complete with hairnet. I never saw the surgeon which made me nervous but was told he would see me in the OR. I received a little IV Cocktail that almost completely knocked me out by the time they moved me to the operating table at about 7:45. I was out!

I came out of surgery around 10:30 and awoke at 11:10 with the oxygen mask on my face. It was hot and I "signed" to the nurse that I was hot and she replaced it with the nose tube. My husband came in shortly after and my breathing was stabilized (my pulse ox was a little low), they moved me to my room.

The pain was minimal perhaps since they kept giving me the lovely IV Cocktail of something with an "L." For the rest of the day I sipped juice from a syringe and nodded in and out of consciousness. That night I drank some chocolate Ensure and later threw it up. Throwing up while wired shut isn't so bad since it was a thin liquid.

P.S. I can fully relax my tounge in my mouth...It's great!

1 comment:

Nichole said...

you THREW UP!?!? That sounds completely terrifying.